Last Wednesday to Friday the URC Mission Council meeting took place at High Leigh in Hertfordshire. Our Synod was represented by Pam Dent (Cumbria), Mike Walsh (SCM), Brian Jolly (Clerk), and myself (Moderator). During our time together we discussed key concerns affecting the life of our denomination including ecumenical matters, ministry issues that affect every Synod, the nature of “call” within any form of ministry, the Windermere Centre, and the “Walking the Way” discipleship theme amongst other matters (a full set of Mission Council papers are available on-line for anyone to view). A roundup of the business can be found at http://urc.org.uk/general/2173-october-2016.html. It was a lively meeting over the 3 days with many opportunities for participation both within the plenary sessions and within smaller group work sessions.
Please pray for:
- the General Secretary, Revd John Proctor, for continued wisdom as he works across so many different areas of our denomination’s life
- the staff at Church House as they continue to resource the essential needs of a denomination
- the envisioning of the denomination in its discipleship through following the Way of Jesus
- the work that is needed concerning the future of the Windermere Centre & the care of its staff
- the opportunities that we may have as a denomination to enable the ministry of all God’s People
- our continued working especially locally with our ecumenical partners to bear witness to Christ Jesus together