Synod Resources Committee
Legal & Trust, Property, and Finance
The Synod Resources Committee (SRC) and Trust Management Committee (TMC) and have the same membership and hold joint meetings, normally six times a year.
The TMC acts on behalf of the Trust in its roles as custodian and managing trustee of all the assets of the Synod and the property of local churches.
The SRC acts on behalf of the Synod in relation to matters of property and finance.
The Synod Officers and the Synod Office team manage carry out the work of the synod and support the trustees.
Functions of the Synod Resources Committee
To ensure that matters relating to property and finance are managed effectively and appropriately; to act as Custodian Trustees for property and investments on behalf of the Synod and of the local churches.
- Oversight of the Synod’s finances and dealing with the salaries and other terms and conditions of Synod staff
- Appointing and having oversight of an investment sub-committee; a Ministry and Mission (M&M) Fund sub-committee, which determines local churches’ M&M assessments and reviews actual performance: and an M&M appeals panel and a M&M review group (both appointed when required)
- Dealing with all matters relating to properties under the control of the Synod, including the operation of the Synod Manse Scheme
- Overseeing the operation of the scheme for the regular structural and asbestos surveys of local church buildings
- Deciding on applications from local churches for Synod grants and loans
- Ensuring that the Synod fulfils its obligations under the Ecclesiastical Exemption (Listed Buildings and Buildings in Conservation Areas) Order, including the appointment and oversight of a Listed Buildings Advisory Committee
- Acting on behalf of the Synod in relation to buildings held for local churches under the United Reformed Church Acts or otherwise
- Giving approval to the Officers of the Synod to sign Sharing Agreements
- Carrying out such other responsibilities as may be required of the Committee by Synod or its officers, including matters needing attention between meetings of the Synod
Day-to-day financial and property-related activities are dealt with by the Synod Officers, the Finance Officer and the Legal & Trust Officer. In accordance with the URC Acts, many decisions need both a resolution of a local Church Meeting and a resolution of the Synod Trustees before local church Elders have sufficient authority to act. Such major decisions are normally considered by the Trustees before any consent is given.
Other financial matters need to be approved through Resources Committee before local church Elders can act. Sometimes, when the Trustees are aware that a matter must be decided before their next meeting, but they do not have enough information to make the decision during the current meeting, they may authorise the Synod Officers to take officer action. When new business arises between Trustees’ meetings and needs to be expedited promptly, after such consultation as is possible by telephone and email, two or more Synod Officers may take officer action and submit their decisions to the next Trustees’ meeting for retrospective approval.
is God’s mission
the strong should help the weak
we belong to each other